- ESPN has held early talks about strategic partnerships with the NBA, NFL and MLB that could include the leagues taking an equity stake in the business, sources told CNBC.
- Disney CEO Bob Iger talked about bringing a strategic partner into ESPN in an interview last week with CNBC.
- Striking a deal directly with the leagues would be unprecedented but would give ESPN a safety net that it would receive premium content from the leagues.
- National Football League owners have unanimously approved the sale of the Washington Commanders franchise to a group led by the co-owner of the NBA’s Philadelphia 76ers and the NHL’s New Jersey Devils.
- Financial terms of the deal to purchase the Commanders from Dan Snyder, who was fined $60 million by the NFL for workplace misconduct after the approval was announced, were not disclosed but are rumoured to be around $6.05 billion.
- The Lionel Messi signing is already providing a financial boost to Inter Miami.
- Managing owner Jorge Mas said he expects revenues and his franchise value to double over the next year.
- Messi jerseys and merchandise are experiencing tremendous demand as well by fans.
- A sold-out crowd of about 20,000 waited through a delay caused by torrential rain and heavy lightning to officially welcome Lionel Messi to Inter Miami on Sunday.
- The ceremony, dubbed La PresentaSIon, at DRV PNK Stadium in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, also marked Miami’s official signing of former FC Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets.
- The 35-year-old Spaniard landed a deal that runs through the 2025 season.
Read More at aljazeera.com
- Novak Djokovic has experienced everything possible on a tennis court during his trophy-laden 23-year career but said he has never faced a player quite like Carlos Alcaraz.
- Alcaraz de-throned the 36-year-old Serb on Centre Court on Sunday, winning a riveting Wimbledon final with a game-style Djokovic later described as like facing a blend of the big three -- himself, Rafa Nadal and Roger Federer.
Read More at reuters.com