- The Steam launch of Dolphin, an open-source emulator for the Wii and the GameCube, has been delayed indefinitely.
- A blog post by the developers says that’s due to a Nintendo “cease and desist citing the DMCA” (an earlier version of the blog post simply said “issued a DMCA” but it has since been updated) after they’d announced plans for a Steam launch in March.
- An under-18 gamer, with support from a guardian, is suing Nintendo over the company’s in-game loot boxes that charged players real money for a slim chance at pretend advantage.
- The class action lawsuit was originally filed last month, but escalated to the federal system through California State Court last Wednesday.
Read More at gizmodo.com
- The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom has become the Zelda franchise’s fastest selling game.
- According to Nintendo, the game sold 10 million copies worldwide in the three days after it launched on May 12th.
- Just to give you an idea of where that stacks among the Switch’s best games, Breath of the Wild, in its six-year lifetime, has sold almost 30 million copies, while Mario Kart 8 has sold 53 million copies.
- The Super Mario Bros. Movie added a commanding $22.6 million on Friday from 4,371 theaters.
- After achieving the biggest opening weekend of the year, “Super Mario Bros.” actually added 28 more locations in its sophomore outing.
- The movie is now projecting an $80 million gross for the three-day frame, which would mark an impressive 45% drop from its $146 million opening weekend.
Read More at variety.com
- After a record-breaking opening weekend, The Super Mario Bros. movie has topped $500 million at the box office, making it the highest-grossing film of 2023 so far.
- It’s also on track to beat Minions: The Rise of Gru as the number one animated film globally, which raked in $942.5 million at the time of its release.