- Meta is rolling back its covid misinformation rules in countries like the US, where the pandemic’s national emergency status has been rescinded as recommended by its independent oversight board in April of this year.
- In an update to the July announcement that it asked the Meta Oversight Board to investigate the safety of doing so, Meta cited the end of the WHO's global public health emergency declaration as the reason for the change:
Read More at theverge.com
- People who took a cheap diabetes drug after testing positive for COVID-19 had a 40% lower risk of getting long COVID, a US-based study said Friday.
- The study tested a drug called metformin, which was originally developed from the French lilac flower, and has been the most common medication used to treat type 2 diabetes across the world for decades.
Read More at sciencealert.com
- President Joe Biden said America needs to determine the origins of the COVID-19 pandemic to prevent future outbreaks when he announced that he signed the "COVID-19 Origin Act of 2023" into law with unanimous congressional support.
- "We need to get to the bottom of COVID-19’s origins to help ensure we can better prevent future pandemics," Biden said Monday.
Read More at justthenews.com
- A recent study explored the persistence of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) in human saliva.
- Several studies performed on nasal and pharyngeal samples noted a reduction in viral shedding along with a decline in culturable virus within the first week of COVID-19 symptoms.
- However, only a few studies have assessed the duration for which SARS-CoV-2 is detected in salivary samples in comparison to nasal swabs after the initial week of symptoms.
Read More at news-medical.net
- President Joe Biden signed a bipartisan bill Monday that directs the federal government to declassify as much intelligence as possible about the origins of COVID-19 more than three years after the start of the pandemic.
- The legislation, which passed both the House and Senate without dissent, directs the Office of the Director of National Intelligence to declassify intelligence related to China’s Wuhan Institute of Virology.
Read More at q13fox.com