- Sen. Josh Hawley will introduce legislation on March 21 to revoke China’s permanent normal trade relations status with the United States.
- If passed, the Ending Normal Trade Relations With China Act of 2023 would withdraw China’s normal trade relations status within two years, subject Chinese imports to higher tariffs, and afford the president the authority to increase duties even higher.
Read More at theepochtimes.com
- WHO advisors have urged China to release all Covid-related data after new research suggested that the virus may have been circulating in the country as early as August 2019.
- The research, which was published in the journal Nature Medicine, analyzed data from more than 10,000 patients in China and found that the virus was likely circulating in the country before the first known case was reported in Wuhan in December 2019.
Read More at reuters.com
- A new theory about the start of the COVID-19 virus points to illegally traded raccoon dogs at a market in Wuhan, China.
- Genetic data from swabs connected to these fox-like animals with a raccoon face offer tangible evidence of the virus's possible origin, according to an international team of virus experts.
- These animals are known to be able to transmit the coronavirus, NYT reported.
Read More at healthday.com
- China is planning to raise the retirement age, and the process will be held gradually and in phases as the superpower faces the challenge of rapidly aging population.
- The country was eyeing a “progressive, flexible and differentiated path to raising the retirement age”, and it means that it would be delayed initially by a few months, said Jin Weigang, president of the Chinese Academy of Labor and Social Security Sciences.
Read More at firstpost.com
- Zhurong, China’s first rover on Mars, has not moved since September, according to NASA imagery released last month.
- The rover went into hibernation on May 18 to ride out the planet’s harsh winter, where seasonal sandstorms swirl and temperatures can dip to as low as minus 190 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The solar-powered rover was expected to wake up around December, when weather conditions improve as Mars’ northern hemisphere enters springtime.
Read More at vice.com